The Study Series
DESTINATION BRAND (DB) aims at evaluating the demand-side perception of tourist destinations. It is a study series in a 5-year cycle with annually changing research foci (sub-studies). In 2009, DESTINATION BRAND was developed for the German source market. Since then, a representative online survey has been conducted annually in autumn – since 2020 even in 10 source markets in parallel.
These top 10 source markets of tourism are: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, France, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, USA and China.
The following three sub-studies are currently the focus of the study series:
- 1. year of the study series: Measuring the „brand value“ of tourist destinations (DB20)
- 2. year of the study series: Measuring the „theme competence“ of tourist destinations (DB21)
- 3. year of the study series: Measuring the „profiling characteristics (profile / image)“ and „spontaneous associations“ of tourist destinations (DB22)
The results of the individual sub-studies together reflect the holistic perceived external image of the destination.
Pilot studies are currently underway for the sub-studies in the fourth and fifth year of the study series, so that the focal points for these can also be defined and communicated in the course of this year.
SPECIAL FEATURES: TIME SERIES AND COMPETITION COMPARISONS AS WELL AS TARGET GROUP ANALYSES
In addition to time comparisons, competitive rankings and the presentation of general market potential, each sub-study also enables a competitive comparison with up to 150 German and international destinations on the German source market and on the basis of the relevant destination category (cities, regions, coastal areas, low mountain ranges).
Target group analyses: Target group differentiated statements according to 8 socio-demographic characteristics are included in each sub-study. In addition, up to 6 individually defined target groups of the client (per source market) can be included – based on socio-demographic characteristics, the topic interest or the combination of option 1 and 2. For an additional charge, we also carry out a target group analysis according to the SINUS Milieus® or also the BeST types of holidaymakers.
DESTINATION BRAND-data supports destination managers in particular with:
- branding and brand development processes,
- evaluation of brand value / brand positioning on a national and international scale,
- strategic brand management,
- strategic decisions on target group / theme marketing,
- target group and competitor analyses on a national and international scale,
- determination of target group-topic links as well as
- development of new tourism products and offers.
The study series stands for
- determination of the demand-side perception of destination brands,
- representative data,
- data diversity and depth,
- cross-national and cross-source market evaluation possibilities,
- time comparison and benchmark options,
- theme-oriented target group links.
Below you will find further information on the individual sub-studies: